Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Snowball

I'm reading a book about the making of Warren Buffet. Like all of us, Warren is a product of his genetics and the patterns formed by his environment.

The book is very entertaining and I can definitely understand the tendency to focus on something and not let go. Warren started collecting a few snowflakes of money as a child and young man and has not stopped rolling his snowball throughout his adulthood.

I've only read the first nine chapters. I hope for Warren's sake that by the end of the book he realizes just how insignificant his snowball is in the whole scheme of things. If he can see his snowball as insignificant, then surely any of us can agree that our net worth is zero without Jesus Christ.

Another interesting fact about Warren was his interest in solving mysteries with mathematics and numbers. He loved finding patterns, as do I, and tended to jump to ridiculous conclusions just for the sake of adventure. As do I.

Warren was raised by a stock broker during a depression while I was raised by a factory worker during a recession and energy crisis. Warren had examples of extreme optimists and pessimists that helped him to choose what was valuable to him and how to make decisions. I think we all have those influences modeled for us, but Warren's are very colorful and historic.

No comments: