Saturday, March 03, 2007

Motivation from Despair



As I have studied the Bible and life over the years under several mentors, one thing that I have learned is that the best way to learn about ANYTHING, is to use, wear out and study THAT thing, not something ELSE.

The biggest THING in anyone's life should be their relationship with our creator. That is common to all mankind, part of us as created beings.


But there are other important things, too.
  • Our relationship with the people in the church He established for His Son and inhabited by the Holy Spirit.
  • Our relationship with our spouse, children, parents, siblings, nieces, nephews and cousins
  • Our relationship with those we work with
  • Our relationship with our neighbors ( Love your neighbor as yourself )
So, we should all spend more time "knowing the shepherd's voice" than knowing the ways of the enemy, but that satirical nature and the logical nature in me just loves to point out the obvious in the negative sense. One great literary writing that is an example of this is C.S. Lewis' "Screwtape Letters".

In the area of leadership and personal discipline, I have often used www.Despair.com as a source for negative information that points to the ways of the enemy as he afflicts our fleshly desires.

This site makes fun of leaders and the things they do. It's convicting and sometimes painful to see the truth of our selfish flesh when it is amplified.

One encouraging piece of information for me is that the battle isn't over until it is over and I know who gets the credit for the victory. Until then, I'll just keep trying even if the world calls me "Stupid".

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh! Indentured...not "dentures"! With the teeth and all, I had to think twice. :D

Good post.

Anonymous said...

Did you notice you said His church was UNinhabited by the Holy Spirit? I Just saw "Amazing Grace" about William Wilberforce...according to the movie, he nearly quit, but got up again. Very thought provoking movie.

Carol

Kevin Eby said...

Thanks Carol!

I've eliminated the extra "UN".

I'm also grateful to you for taking Becca to "Amazing Grace". I've already begun sing it's praises to people without having seen it.

Looking forward to your review.

Anonymous said...

Hubby was telling me about that movie over the weekend. Yeah! Another noteworthy movie. Great to think about seeing movies again and actually having a hope of being encouraged when you walk away! (Isn't Becca still in diapers? Man!)

Anonymous said...

I love despair.com, one of my favorite sites!