Monday, March 26, 2007

Hinds' Cooler in High Places

Over a decade ago, a good friend in my small group encouraged me to read a book entitled Hinds' Feet in High Places. This friend intended to stretch me with this book because it is not the kind of book that I normally read.

I really enjoyed it.

This weekend, another friend decided to bring a cooler of ice water to our regular ultimate frisbee game on Sunday afternoons in Kirklevington Park. Upon hearing that, Adam decided to bring a bunch of water bottles that he and Kyle had bartered for at a Tates Creek High School home football game this fall. I was ecstatic about that idea because they would no longer be in our garage.

Now, since my good friend with the cooler has the last name of Hind and is a very good steward of her things, the cooler was labeled "Hind" with a Sharpie.

Since there were no tables out in the field, we had to improvise. Someone suggested hanging the cooler from a tree. I had some rope in the Jeep, so we proceeded with that plan.

Throughout the warm afternoon, water was provided for everyone playing frisbee and soon there were thirsty basketball players whose curiosity was piqued by the hanging cooler.

It wasn't until tonight at prayer that I realized that God had given us a great place to recreate and share with the community at Kirklevington Park. An answer to the prayers of both Mr. and Mrs. Hind. I guess we won't need to pour any concrete at the church right away.

I think those water bottles might be popular all summer long.

It would really be a strange small world if the husband of the first friend was responsible for introducing me to the friend with the cooler and that she would share the gospel with the man that has been praying for all of this recreation to end up being a way to share the gospel, wouldn't it.

Next week, someone needs to take a picture of "Hind's Cooler in High Places" and then have me committed to some kind of facility that will stop me from connecting the dots of God's steps.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great post.

I can just picture you all.

I wonder who the book recommending friend was? (Suckered me, too!). That book changed my perception of several things. A great read.

Kevin Eby said...

Her husband was a med student, as was Mrs. Hind.

I bet Becca and Robin would love that book.