Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Church around the small world

Today, Dr. Kim Hind and Dr. Tim Scott headed for Ecuador to help take care of the medical needs of the Awa. Dr. Scott has been doing mission work like this for years and has a good relationship with missionaries in different areas of the world.

Why do I call it a small world?

Dr. Scott started out as my doctor, but I only visited him once when we first moved to Lexington. About ten years later, he and the pastor of new church plant and their wives visited Tatesbrook as they were waiting on the Lord to provide a church sponsor for their plant.

Today, I still rarely visit Dr. Scott at his practice, but we pray together nearly every Monday night. He and I share many common desires. We both love Michael Card. We both love to serve. We both came from rural communities. We both care for the weak. The biggest difference I see is his wisdom vs my self confidence and his peaceful nature versus my disturbing nature.

Kim Bell visited Tatesbrook as a medical student who knew the remarkable Dr. Eric Bandy, who attended a youth group led by Mike Brady as teenager. When Eric headed to UK, he attended Tatesbrook and brought a few of his fellow college students.

As we grew to love the very special Kim Bell and her friend Angela, we prayed for her boyfriend who lived back in New Mexico. Kim loved him, but she did not want to further a relationship with a man that was not equally committed to Jesus Christ.

It was with great joy that Kim told us one day that her boyfriend had committed himself to Christ and asked her to marry him. A group of eight people headed down to Albuquerque for the wedding. ( a good section of the "Old Mules" of Tatesbrook )

Returning to Lexington, Dr. Kim and Matt Hind settled into a home in a nearby town that split the commute between work and church. Over the years, Matt has served in many roles and has found his calling as our youth pastor.

Matt is one of my greatest friends (outside of my family) today. I know that I can count on him for anything. He is one of the few people that can convince me to exercise when I think that my old body needs to rest. Matt and Kim both love to mountain bike. In fact, Kim's brother started me on mountain biking on the day of Matt and Kim's wedding. ( lots of stories there, but I'll save that for another time )

I trust Matt and Kim with my children, they are doing a wonderful job.

As I write this, in this small world, Dr. Tim and Dr. Kim are together serving the Lord at the equator near the edge of a different mountain range and you can read about their experiences on their blog: Ecuador Mission Trip (Kim & Tim)

No comments: