Saturday, January 12, 2008

Jackie dusts off her resume

No one needs to get out any tiny violins for us, but 2007 was a difficult year financially. Anyone that has spent any time with me, knows that one of the five biblical financial principles that I teach and live by is "Spend less than you make".

As a Christian, I believe the proper perspective is to be grateful for the income and always address the expenditures since that is what He commands us to do well until God changes the income. That is a hard perspective to teach, learn or live. For whatever reason, I believe that God has a reason for the Eby family to live on less income these last few years and I am grateful for the opportunity for Him to continue to teach us how to do this as a family.

  • The kids' college savings dropped to half the 2006 value. This is my own fault for making investment choices that I continue to hope will recover to a point that will be able to help the kids. This is by far the largest financial impact to us and it has been difficult for me to trust God to restore those investments that we have made a little bit at a time over a period of many years. ( I also am wondering if God has intended for our children to work their own way through school as we did. We benefited from that experience, why wouldn't they? )
  • We had both of our vehicles demand some attention. ( 100K+ miles cars from the 20th century )
  • In October, we turned around and "suddenly" our daughter was 16 and we will be paying higher premiums for car insurance next year. (50% higher if she doesn't get a car, 100% higher if she gets a car )
  • In November, we had wind damage to our 20 year old roof that cost us $5K that we had hoped to spend in 2009 or 2010. We thought we could put that off until at least 2008 even after the visible exterior damage but water damage to Adam's bedroom ceiling forced us to action.


So... with each drip, drip, drip of financial events of 2007, Jackie threatened to go back to work, and I pulled equity out of our home to make ends meet. Although this is a violation of several principles, I think it is prudent while we consider more sustainable options that I have suggested like downsizing our home.

She worked full time from 1986 through 1991 as a medical lab technician before having Carmen and continued to work very part time through 1993 before having Adam. When she left the position in 1993, she suspected that she would never get back into medical lab business, but didn't know what new business it might be.

In the first position she has accepted in 15 years, she will be working a flexible schedule at close to minimum wage for a company that makes sure us consumers buy stuff at retail stores because evidently that is something that employees of retail stores don't do. I'm not a big fan of this new job, but I'm grateful that she has taken the initiative and hopeful that it will pay for groceries or gas or the last few years of sports while we trust God to tell us what we should do next.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I had no idea that you were experiencing financial hardships. You think you would have turned to your younger brother who has no kids to "help a brother out." I have been thinking about helping to fund your children's college for some time. I do agree that paying for college on their own would be good, but leaving college without massive debts would better. The offer is there, just let me know.

Kevin Eby said...

Thanks Keith, its always good to know the offer is there.

I'll be sure to let you know as soon as we get to the "Brother, can you spare a dime?" phase.

I'm hoping that the half life of our college savings account will change soon so that we have a cushion for them, in case they can't figure out a way to get it done on their own.

Since you and I went to state universities, we didn't have to accumulate massive debts.

They will have to think about those choices. I'm sure they will be fine.