Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Worship Philosophy

At our life group ( aka small group ) ( aka cell group ) (aka shepherd group ) meeting tonight Kent asked us all to write down our worship philosophy and share it. I thought this was an excellent exercise since each individual has a very unique perspective to anything that occurs in the church. This is true whether it is something spiritual, something doctrinal, something religious or something trivial like the color of the carpet or something major like sitting in a pew that belongs to someone else.

So here's the way I see worship today:

Worship is a celebration of Christ that unites us with our creator.


We can be united or restored in isolation or in mass gatherings of strangers at coliseums. Our hearts can receive peace in coliseums and rejoice in solitude.


Creativity and worship can occur without Christ as the center, but it can not occur without Christ. After all, where does creativity come from if not from our creator?


The opening ceremony at each Olympic gathering is an example of a highly technical, complex, amazing worship of the human spirit, but it falls short of the Glory of God that exists when Christ is worshiped from our hearts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You still need to explain your blog title...did I miss that post somewhere? There has to be a story behind that.

Great thoughts on worship...I get challenged every time I think on it. I get challenged when I think of the role of angels and their worship. I get challenged when I think of the role of nature in worship.

These have little to do with Christ, per se.

I loved Rick Warren's thoughts on worship in "Purpose Driven Life". He said that any time we are working according to our function for the moment, we are worshipping the one who made us to do that thing.

Great thoughts on the Olympics. I've had the same impressions but could not articulate it as well.

Great shot of Carmen below! She seems to worship playing voleyball!