Thursday, June 07, 2007

Unfinished work will remain unfinished

Adam has an opportunity to learn an important lesson this year in regard to submission to authority. Having attended 6th and 7th grade at Southern Middle School, he will not be permitted to return for his 8th grade year.

He had a problem with interrupting class for two teachers and this was not acceptable for an "out of district" student. The talking and disrespect was reported multiple times for several months. One of the teachers even called me during the day for direction on how to resolve the problem.

The consequences spread far and wide. One narrow and tall consequence is pictured on the left. I don't think I will be able to finish painting the goal posts. Last year, I painted as high as I could reach from 16' step ladder. This year, I intended to finish the job after finding a taller ladder.

His 7th grade year in football was exciting, as were all the musical performances and One Way throughout 6th and 7th grade. There are many great teachers at this school. It truly was worth saving, I'm just saddened that we were not able to finish there with Adam and Becca.

I appreciate the relationships that were started there and hope to continue them as Adam completes 8th grade separated from his Southern friends.

I find it ironic that the post that we painted was clad in a "CREEK" sleeve on the night of the 8th grade recognition.

It will be a test for Jackie and I as well. We both want to make a positive impact on the community and are extremely loyal to any cause that we invest in. This one hurts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this probably doesn't help, but, if you can believe it, I was also singled out in middle school for being "talkative" and "disrupting teachers" and I turned out pretty well. I feel bad for Adam that he will not be at school next year with all of his friends. Can you appeal??

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry--you guys pour so much life into all you do. I can imagine the hurt and frustration you must feel. Thanks for sharing authentically.

Kevin Eby said...

Jackie and I don't really want to appeal. We certainly don't want to defend or argue the characteristic of "disrespect". At this point, we will be submitting to the authority of the leadership at Southern Middle by leaving.

We have already found two schools that seem eager to teach both of our middle school children and we would like to keep them at the same school if at all possible.