Sunday, July 30, 2006

Georgetown Tournament

It has been a pretty tough month for Adam with his grandmother in the hospital and nursing home. His commitment to the Lexington Southeast minor select baseball team has kept him away from Indiana where he would love to be.

It has also been tough for the team this week at Georgetown. After being crushed by the giant corn fed boys of Woodford county on Friday night and again by a Frankfort team on Saturday morning, I didn't think it could possibly hurt Adam's attitude if I told him that his grandmother died before they played Harrison County at noon.

I took a lot of pictures from right field where Carmen and I were planning the rest of our weekend while we enjoyed the game, but a mother of another player took these pictures from the perfect vantage point of Adam's score over a blocked plate.

This is the point where Adam was faced with a decision. He could dive head first and touch the plate with his left hand like he had seen the professional players do many times, but he had never practiced that. He could also choose a hook slide, but he had never practiced that.

Without practice, he decided to do what Adam Howard did to him in the SouthEastern All-Star game. He was safe at home plate.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevin :)
This is actually the first 'blog' I have ever read. Pretty cool to read one that has a few of my pictures attached to it. What a nice compliment, WOW!
I found myself getting caught up in your other blogs as i clicked my way through.
The pic I took of Adam scoring was probably one of my favorites....well, I don't know if the picture was a favorite or watching him through the lens, ZOOMED in, plow his way into home plate was better! I giggled my butt off way back there at the fence line, that child had a plan when he came off of 3rd base! Being there for Garret's homer was great as well....him 'flying' into home plate to meet his buddies about made me cry, I rememeber that little guy when he was with Josh in rookie league with The Angels! I know Max & Genia were tickled to pieces!
That was actually my first and only Select game I made it to.
I bartend 7pm till LATE full time in a neighborhood bar, those extended hours they set since the smoking ban (2:30am instead of 1am) stinks! Those early games are not easy to make it to when you don't get home until 5am.Ugh! Thank God for 'Coach' hubby Johnny! :)
I recently gave up Friday nights though, too much craziness & too many years. Kind of a relief really. I can now make ALL those early Sat. games next season. :)~~Gotta love baseball season, I love to take pics of the boys.....the determination on their faces & the drive in their game are priceless!
I may not know Adam by his face, but I will definitely know who EBY is if my camera happens to focus on the back of his jersey ever again. What an awesome little man to watch play ball!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevin! My Adam is thrilled that you mentioned him in your blog. I still smile when I think about the first select team practice when he realized that your Adam would be on his team after he "trucked" him at the all-star game! He was actually a little nervous, I think, about how your Adam would react to him. But I remember picking him up at the end of practice, and both Adams were laughing together about something. Adam had a great time playing on the select team, and we enjoyed meeting all the other players and parents :)

Kevin Eby said...

Lori,
Thanks again for the pictures and I am glad you got to enjoy a select game this year. I agree with you that Garret's home run was very key to the team.

Sharon,
I, too, am glad that Adam and Adam got to play together. There sure are a lot of good families supporting this league. I couldn't help but notice that there aren't too many Dad's that get a chance to go to a Packer's football camp with his oldest son and listen to his wife read children's books to his daughter at his middle son's baseball tournament in the fog in the same summer. Enjoy those times...