Sunday, April 30, 2006

Spring Up

Adam asked me why I had the mower adjusted so high while I was mowing this weekend.

One of the things that my father taught me was that you need to raise the blades on the mower in the Spring, and then lower them in the Fall. ( Spring Up, Fall Down ) I later learned from my Purdue ( Agriculture School as well as an Engineering School ) Alumni Magazine that 72% of your lawn's Nitrogen needs can come from the clippings. I really try to convince my friends and neighbors that bagging grass is hard work and harmful to their lawn, but city folk just don't like to drag grass clippings into the house.



Another thing that I have been taught is that you never cut more than one third of your grass height off. As you can see from the picture, I've been working away from home and am rarely able to cut the grass and have completely violated this rule. You can also notice that this is the week that the Azalias are in bloom in Lexington. They don't last long here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, I did not know most of what you wrote. I guess you and Grampa had a much closer relationship...he never really cared too much for me. I guess that is why Grandma and I were so close.

One thing you forgot to mention, though, didn't Grandma and Grandpa have to get married if you know what I mean....