Saturday, February 11, 2006

The Servant Song

Back in 1994, I rode a borrowed ten speed 134 miles in one day from Louisville to Bloomington with a group from FCA enroute to Indianapolis for a Promise Keepers event. I remember collapsing at a United Methodist Church that night and thinking my inflamed knees would never be useful again. The next morning we rode another 65 miles and it seemed painless compared to the Southern Indiana terrain of the previous day.

The worship at Promise Keepers was incredible under the great leadership of Morris Chapman but there was one particular song that was very important to me.

It was important to me because of something that happened when I returned to Lexington and was holding then 9 month old Adam standing on my knees facing me as I sang this song again during a testimony time from those that had attended Promise Keepers with me.

God told me that Adam was not my son, but my brother. God told me that Adam was as much His son as he was mine. At 9 months old, this boy was more interested in food than being a son of God, but God clearly showed me that He wanted Adam for His own and it was my job to raise him as my brother.

Here are the words of "The Servant Song" by Richard Gillard:

Brother, let me be your servant
Let me be as Christ to you
Pray that I may have the grace
To let you be my servant, too

We are pilgrims on a journey
We are brothers on the road
We are here to help each other
Walk the mile and bear the load

I will weep when you are weeping
When you laugh I'll laugh with you
I will share your joy and sorrow
Till we've seen this journey through

When we sing to God in heaven
We shall find such harmony
Born of all we've known together
Of Christ's love and agony

Brother, let me be your servant
Let me be as Christ to you
Pray that I may have the grace
To let you be my servant, too


Tomorrow a 12 year old Adam will be sharing his testimony from a different conference. He will standing in that same building where he once stood on my knees. There will be many men watching, each one an important part of his life as our brother. God is faithful to deliver on His promises.

In the crowd of witnesses tomorrow will be a great servant, Matthew Hind, who has pressed my son, our brother, into mountain biking and servanthood. Another witness will be Michael Harrington, who has pressed him to worship. There is an entire crowd of other brothers that have helped to rough him up a bit ( a very necessary part of growing up )

1 comment:

Joan said...

I love the truth to that song.

Keep it in my quiet time journal and review it often. Have sent it in cards to several friends.

Blessings to you and yours~